George Winston Influences & Recommended Recordings
- New Orleans R&B Piano
- Stride Piano
- Jazz & Melodic Piano
- Jazz Organ
- Hawaiian Slack Key Guitarists
- Other Guitarists
- Harmonica: Appalachian/Old Time Country, Cajun, Celtic, & related influences
- Chinese Traditional and Classical/Mongolian & Tuvan Traditional
- Winter Season Recordings
- Other Arts
The first pianist to take rhythm & blues, soul music, the blues, and New Orleans music and make a whole solo piano style out of these traditions and more.
- CLASSIFIED: Remixed & Expanded (Rounder) - Download George Winston's extended liner notes for the 2013 reisssue.
- JUNCO PARTNER (Rykodisc 1359) This album has affected and influenced me the most in terms of how I play the piano.
- NEW ORLEANS PIANO WIZARD: LIVE (Rounder 2027)
- SPIDERS ON THE KEYS (Rounder C2119)
- RESURRECTION OF THE BAYOU MAHARAJAH (Rounder C2218)
- KING OF THE NEW ORLEANS KEYBOARD (Junco Partner JP1, JSP Productions) - English import
- PIANO PRINCE OF NEW ORLEANS (Aves INT 146.509 - out of print) - German import
- BLUES AND RAGTIME (Aves INT 146.530 - out of print) - German import
New Orleans Jazz and R&B pianist - Henry is the pianist I have been studying the most since 1985. He's an incredible live performer and every concert is an event and a phenomenon.
- THE BLUES & MORE VOL. 2 (Basin Street Records) - A live solo album to be released in 2008.
- PIANOLA (Basin Street Records)
- LIVE AT THE 2007 NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL - to order contact www.jazzfestlive.com, and scroll to 2007
- HOMELAND (Basin Street Records - BSR 0802 - 2) - Especially check out Henry's Boogie for the amazing two hand percussive technique he invented.
- Click here for a great live performance from the Kennedy Center in Washington D.C. in 2004
- BLUES AFTER SUNSET (Blacktop 1144)
- BLUES & MORE VOL. I (Windham Hill Jazz 10138)
- ORLEANS INSPIRATION (Windham Hill Jazz 10122)Professor Longhair’s recordings in 1949, and continuing today. Some of the other great R&B pianists playing there today are Alan Toussaint, Jon Cleary, Tom McDermott, Amasa Miller, Eddie Bo, Art Neville, and Davell Crawford. Professor Longhair also influenced and inspired the late James Booker, Dr. John, Huey Smith, Fats Domino, Harry Connick, Jr., and the late Ronnie Barron. For listing of live performances and information on New Orleans music in general, see OFFBEAT MAGAZINE.
- NEW ORLEANS PIANO (Atlantic 7225) - Great 1949 and 1953 tracks - New Orleans R&B piano starts here.
- ROCK 'N' ROLL GUMBO (Dancing Cat 3006) - Great 1974 tracks with the late Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown on guitar. For extended notes click here.
- THE LONDON CONCERT (JSP Records 202) - English import -1978 concert with just piano and conga.
- CRAWFISH FIESTA (Alligator 4718) - Fess’ last album from 1980.
- HOUSE PARTY NEW ORLEANS STYLE (THE LOST SESSIONS 1971-1972) (Rounder Records 2057) - 1971 & 1972 sessions in Baton Rouge and Memphis.
- MARDI GRAS IN BATON ROUGE (Rhino Records) more tracks from the 1971 & 1972 sessions in Baton Rouge and Memphis, with horns added later.
- LIVE ON THE QUEEN MARY (One Way Records) - live performance from 1975 especially note the great version of Everyday I Have the Blues with Fess’ incredible instrumental piano break.
- MARDI GRAS IN NEW ORLEANS (Nighthawk Records) tracks from 1950 1957, including his beautiful composition from 1957 Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand.
- 1949 (Classics Records [French import]) - Fess’ Mercury Records tracks from 1949 or 1950, and the Atlantic tracks from 1949 and 1953 (the Atlantic also appear on the NEW ORLEANS PIANO recording on Atlantic Records).
- THE NEW ORLEANS SESSIONS 1950 (Bear Family Records) an out of print LP that has Fess’ 1950 Mercury Records tracks from the recording listed just above, plus four alternate takes (as well as tracks by other artists).
- COLLECTOR’S CHOICE-FEATURING PROFESSOR LONGHAIR (Rounder Records) this anthology recording with various artists features 10 tracks by Fess from 1958-1964, including his 1959 hit version of Go To The Mardi Gras, and his 1964 hit versions of Big Chief-Parts 1&2, as well as his first recording of his fast tempo arrangement of his classic composition Hey Now Baby, with the title Cuttin’ Out, and seven other R&B singles from this time period
- FESS THE PROFESSOR LONGHAIR ANTHOLOGY (Rhino Records) this double CD has Fess’ 1959 hit version of Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and his 1964 hit version of Big Chief-Part 2, his great 1957 track Baby Let Me Hold Your Hand, and many other studio and live tracks from other years, and extensive liner notes.
- The 1978 live shows recorded at Tipitina’s many of these tracks have been issued on three different recordings:
- THE LAST MARDI GRAS (Atlantic Records) out of print double LP.
- RUM AND COKE (Tomato Records)
- BIG CHIEF (Rhino Records)
- BALL THE WALL! - LIVE AT TIPITINA’S 1978 (Night Train Records) a different live show from Tipitina’s in New Orleans
- BYRD LIVES! (Night Train Records) double CD of more live 1978 tracks from Tipitina’s in New Orleans has Fess’ only recording of the Blues standard After Hours, and has three rare solo tracks
- Professor Longhair is featured in the late Stevenson J. Palfi's documentary PIANO PLAYERS RARELY EVER PLAY TOGETHER - Video available from Alligator Video at 1-800-344-5609.
- CREOLE MOON (EMI/Blue Note)
- DUKE ELEGANT (Blue Note 23220) - Great R&B arrangements of Duke Ellington songs
- SIPPIANA HERICANE (Blue Note 0946 3 45687 2 2) - Benefit CD for the New Orleans Musician Client, the Jazz Foundation of America, and The Voice of the Wetlands.
- TRIPPIN' LIVE (Surefire/Windup Records, Cat. #: 8573804682)
- DR. JOHN PLAYS MAC REBENNACK (Clean Cuts 705) - solo piano
- THE BRIGHTEST SMILE IN TOWN (Clean Cuts 707) - solo piano
- GOIN' BACK TO NEW ORLEANS (Warner Bros. 26940)
- IN A SENTIMENTAL MOOD (Warner Bros. 25889)
- SUCH A NIGHT (Spindrift Records 107 - out of print)
- GUMBO (Alligator 3901)
- OCCAPELLA (FHQ Records 004) - Having fun with the songs of Allen Toussaint.
- JON CLEARY & THE ABSOLUTE MONSTER GENTLEMAN - LIVE AT THE 2007 NEW ORLEANS JAZZ & HERITAGE FESTIVAL - Can order on iTunes or see www.jazzfestlive.com.
- JON CLEARY & THE ABSOLUTE MONSTER GENTLEMAN - Basin Street Records (BSR 0901-2)
- PIN YOUR SPIN - Basin Street Records (BSR 0902-2)
- On his website, also see the Audio/Video section, especially the song Tipitina.
- ASSOCIATED TRANSCRIPTION SESSION 1935-39 (Jazz Unlimited 203 2076)
- FATS WALLER PIANO SOLOS - TURN ON THE HEAT 1929-1941 (RCA/Bluebird 2482)
- THE JOINT IS JUMPING (RCA/Bluebird 6288)
- Documentary - This Joint Is Jumpin' with Fats Waller (Screen Edge). Featuring Fats Waller’s son Maurice, film footage, and more.
- And especially any tracks with his band "Fats Waller & his Rhythm," between 1934 and 1936.
- THE CENTENNIAL COLLECTION (RCA/Bluebird 59951)
- Also visit www.fatswaller.org
Teddy WilsonSolo piano: Especially his piano solos in 1934, 1935 and 1937. These are available on the following recordings:
- Solo piano: THE COMPLETE TEDDY WILSON - PIANO SOLOS 1934-1941 (2 CD set) (CBS 4676902) - French import - Out of Print. There are other recordings that feature his piano solos from 1934, 1935, and 1937.
- SUNNY MORNING (Musicraft/Discography 2008) - piano solos recorded in 1946
- TEDDY WILSON - PIANO SOLOS (Charley Records CD-AFS 1016) - British Import - This recording also has all the 1934, 1935 and 1937 piano solos.
- PORTRAIT 10 - 10 CD box set (Import). This box set has most of the piano solos between 1934-1946 and many ensemble tracks.
These piano solos are also available on the following six recordings:
- TEDDY WILSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA - 1934-1935 (Classics Records - Classics 508)
- TEDDY WILSON - VOLUME 1 - 1934-1941 THE ALTERNATIVE TAKES (Neatwork Records - Neatwork R2021)
- TEDDY WILSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA - 1935-1936 (Classics Records - Classics 511)
- TEDDY WILSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA - 1937-1938 (Classics Records - Classics 548)
- TEDDY WILSON AND HIS ORCHESTRA - 1939-1941 (Classics Records - Classics 620)
- TEDDY WILSON: THE GENTLEMAN OF SWING (Classic Jazz Archives - double CD)
With the Benny Goodman Trio & Quartet (with Benny Goodman on clarinet , Teddy Wilson on piano, Gene Cooper on drums, and as quartet Lionel Hampton on vibraphone - Teddy's incredible left hand playing 10th intervals provided the bass for the trio & quartet):
- BENNY GOODMAN -THE COMPLETE RCA VICTOR SMALL GROUP RECORDINGS (09026-68764-2) - 3 CD Set
- LIVE AT CARNEGIE HALL - 2 CD set
- THE EARL HINES COLLECTION 1928-1940 - All of his piano solos from these years (except Melancholy Baby)
- THE EARLY YEARS: 1923-1942
- BLUE WEST (Sweetgrass Music SGM0004) - Phil's latest great solo piano recording of blues and beyond.
- HIGH PLAINS (Windham Hill 1037)
- OUT OF THE FRAME (Windham Hill 1069)
- UPRIGHT (Windham Hill 1088)
- CINEMA (Windham Hill 1110)
- FIELD NOTES (Sweetgrass Music)
- LIVE FROM MONTANA (Sweetgrass Music)
- THE BIG OPEN (to be released)
- Philip also has a music book: PHILIP AABERG - PIANO SOLOS (Hal Leonard) - available from Sweetgrass Music, 6114 LaSalle Avenue, Oakland, CA 94611.
- A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS (Fantasy 8431) - the best one is either the older one with 11 tracks or 11 tracks and 1 bonus track , such as Fantasy FCD-697-8341. The newer 2008 edition with bonus tracks (Fantasy FCD-30066-2) has 5 bonus tracks but less good takes of some of the main songs. I recommend the older version or a version with just 1 bonus track of Green Sleeves. For completeness you might consider getting both. There will hopefully be a new edition that encompasses all of this in the future. Also on video.
- OH, GOOD GRIEF! (Warner Bros. 1747)
- JAZZ IMPRESSIONS OF BLACK ORPHEUS (Original Jazz Classics 253)
- THE GRACE CATHEDRAL CONCERT (Fantasy 9678)
- A BOY NAMED CHARLIE BROWN (Fantasy 8430)
- CHARLIE BROWN SUITE & OTHER FAVORITES (RCA)
- NORTH BEACH
- THE WELL TEMPERED PIANO - Volume 1 (Gypsy Hollow Music) - beautiful compositions in each of the 12 Major and minor keys.
- THE WELL TEMPERED PIANO - Volume 2 (Gypsy Hollow Music) - more beautiful compositions in each of the 12 Major and minor keys.
- SENZO (Sony SSC-1012)
- AFRICAN SUITE (Enja/Jistin Time 3314) - The Mountain of the Night (which is the song, from this album, featured at his website)
- CAPE TOWN FLOWERS (Tip Toe/Enja Records TIP 888826 2)
- EKAPA LODUMO (Tip Toe/Enja Records - TIP 888840 2)
- MEMORIES (West 54-WLW-8011) - he also has many other great recordings on solo piano and with ensembles
- SANGOMA (Sackville 3006)
- AFRICAN PORTRAIT (Sackville 3009)
Abdullah Ibrahim has many other fine albums
- THE THREE BILLY GOATS GRUFF/THE THREE LITTLE PIGS (BMG Kidz 70200) - (Out of Print)- with narration by Holly Hunter; a Rabbit Ears production
- GOT MY MOJO WORKIN’ - (Verve Records) - especially Hi-Heel Sneakers, & Got My Mojo Workin’
- HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN - (Verve Records) - especially Hoochie Coochie Man, & TNT
- these two albums are now reissued on one CD with the title GOT MY MOJO WORKIN’ / HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN - (Verve Records)
- PETER AND THE WOLF - (Verve Records) - especially Elegy For A Duck, & Peter Plays Some Blues
- ORGAN GRINDER SWING - (Verve Records) - especially Greensleeves, & Oh, No, Babe, & Blues for J
- STAY LOOSE- (Verve Records) - especially Chain of Fools, & I'm Gonna Move To The Outskirts Of Town, & Grabbin’ Hold, & One for Members
- LIVIN’ IT UP - (Verve Records) - especially Refractions, & The Gentle Rain, & This Nearly Was Mine
- ORGAN OUT LOUD (Mainstream Records) - especially Comin' Home Baby
- TELL IT LIKE IT 'TIS (Pacific Jazz Records) - especially the song This Here
- SOUL MESSAGE (Presteige Records) - especially Misty
- I’VE GOT A NEW WOMAN (Solid State Records) - especially I've Got a New Woman, & Kiko, & The Swingin’ Shephard Blues
- A BAG FULL OF SOUL (Solid State Records) - especially Red River Blues
- HEAVEN ON EARTH (Blue Note Records) - especially The Cradle
Little Richie Varola
- LITTLE RICHIE VAROLA - (Verve Records) - especially Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, & Slaughter on Tenth Avenue
HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITARISTS
(Traditional Solo Fingerpicking Style)
- KA HIKINA O KA HAU (THE COMING OF THE SNOW) (Dancing Cat 02024)
- MAUNA KEA - WHITE MOUNTAIN JOURNAL (Dancing Cat 38011)
- MOE'UHANE KIKA - TALES FROM THE DREAM GUITAR (Dancing Cat 38006)
- KOLONAHE - FROM THE GENTLE WIND (Dancing Cat 38047)
- SOLILOQUY (Dancing Cat 38012)
- HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR (Music of Polynesia 22000)
Atta Isaacs (w/Gabby Pahinui)
- TWO SLACK KEY GUITARS (Tradewinds 1124)
- BLACK SAND (Dancing Cat 38015)
- LED LIVE - SOLO (Dancing Cat 38008)
- KIKA KILA MEETS KI HO'ALU (Dancing Cat 38031) - Pure duets of Hawaiian slack key guitar and acoustic steel guitar with Bob Brozman on acoustic steel guitar
- IN THE SADDLE (Dancing Cat 38051) - Pure duets of Hawaiian slack key guitar and acoustic steel guitar with Bob Brozman on acoustic steel guitar
- HO'OKUPU- THE GIFT (Dancing Cat 38023)
- PUNAHELE (Dancing Cat 38001)
- WA'AHILA (Dancing Cat 38002)
- NANAKULI’S RAYMOND KANE (Tradewinds Records 1130 - reissued on CD on Hana Ola Records [HOCD 52000], with the title THE LEGENDARY RAY KANE - OLD STYLE SLACK KEY - THE COMPLETE EARLY RECORDINGS
- ALOHA NO NA KUPUNA - LOVE FOR THE ELDERS (Dancing Cat 38009)
- HAWAIIAN TOUCH (Dancing Cat 38009) - Hawaiian slack key guitar and acoustic steel duets with Barney Isaacs on acoustic steel guitar
- HO’OLAHE [LISTEN] (Dancing Cat 38054) - Backing up Martin Pahinui on Slack Key guitar
- O KE AUMOE: NIGHT OF THE SLACK KEY GUITAR (Winter & Winter Records W&W 910 142-2)
- NAHENAHE: HAWAIIAN SLACK KEY GUITAR (Hula Records 576)
- KE'ALA'S MELE (Dancing Cat 38004)
- SLACK KEY [the “Red Album”] (Tradewinds Records 103 - reissued on CD on Hana Ola Records [HOCD 53000], with the title THE LEGENDARY LEONARD KWAN - THE COMPLETE EARLY RECORDINGS.
- THE OLD WAY (Tradewinds Records 1128 - reissued on CD on Hana Ola Records [HOCD 53000], with the title THE LEGENDARY LEONARD KWAN - THE COMPLETE EARLY RECORDINGS.
- HO’OLAHE [LISTEN] (Dancing Cat 38054)
- PURE GABBY (Hula Records 567)
THE HISTORY OF SLACK KEY (Hana Ola Records 24000) - the 20 earliest recorded slack key tracks, including Gabby Pahinui's first recordings from the 1940s and pieces by eight other artists from the late 1940s and early 1950s.
For other Hawaiian slack key guitar recordings, or information on Hawaiian music, contact Hawaiian Music Island or Harry's Music, 3457 Wai'alae Avenue, Honolulu, HI 96816, 808-735-2866.Ted was my main guitar mentor who sadly passed away in July, 2005. The offical site is www.tedgreene.com and here is a site dedicated to his memory - http://www.tedgreene.blogspot.com/ .
Ted Greene was a wonderful guitarist and educator, he was best known for his book Chord Chemistry and for his wonderful recordings of solo guitar that I'm still learning from after hearing it in 1978. Ted's main influences were the last jazz guitarist George Van Eps, Wes Montgomery, Lenny Breau, and many film soundtrack composers such as the late Max Steiner, the late George Duning, and many more. He was also influenced by classical composers such as Bach and Gershwin. Ted played with a deep feeling for every song he played and extending the beauty of those songs with what he called “extended diatonic” harmony, and more.
"Ted played with such pure beauty and feeling, he has influenced and inspired every aspect of my playing since I first heard him in 1977. To this day, everytime I listen to his recording, Solo Guitar, I still hear and learn new things. It is an encyclopedia of beautiful variations. I learned so much and became so motivated each time we talked or got together. He was such a beautiful guy and such a great inspiration to me to be a better person as well as a better musician." - George Winston
- SOLO GUITAR (PMP 00032) - (Reissued in 2004 on the Art of Life Records label) .
- TED GREENE REMEMBERED - now available from www.eldoradorecords.net a tribute to the legendary guitarist and beloved teacher. Featured guitarists include: Tommy Emmanuel, Laurence Juber, Lee Ritenour, George Winston, Dan Sawyer, Anthony Wilson, Mark Goldenberg, Jay Graydon, Phil deGruy, Steve Ferguson, Stephen Bruton and a John Pisano-Ted Greene duet. Produced by Tom Bocci with liner notes by Barbara Franklin and the players themselves. Proceeds from the sale of this recording will benefit www.tedgreene.com, a Website devoted to sharing Ted’s guitar teachings worldwide.
- OCEAN MEMORIES (Samba Moon 0890523) - formerly titled OCEAN with eight previously unissued selections from the sessions.
- SHAMBHALA MOON (Samba Moon 0890524) - formerly titled JUNGLE SUITE - with one new bonus track.
- WINDSPELL (Samba Moon) - to be released
- ANA (ECM 1611)
- ANTHEM (ECM 1743)
- OPEN LETTER (ECM 1462 314 511 980-2)
- DIARY (ECM 1032 829 157-2)
- BLUE SUN (ECM 1250 829 162-2)
- Video - IN CONCERT - RALPH TOWNER - solo guitar concert from 1998, with several of the songs from the ANA recording - order from www.acousticmusicresource.com (then go to videos) - or can order from the German site www.acoustic-music.de (then go to catalog; then to Concert Videos)
Ralph has many other great recordings, both as a leader and with the ensamble OREGON.
- WIND IN THE HEATHER (Dancing Cat Records DC3001 - Out of Print - to be released)
- GRASSROOTS GUITAR (Thistle Records-731-Out of Print - to be released)
- HOME AGAIN (Vanguard 79239)
Doc has many other fine albums.
- HANAPEPE DREAM (with the Hula Blues Band) - (Tone Kool/Kandu Records 51173)
- SACRED ISLAND (with the Hula Blues Band) (Private Music 82165)
- MUMTAZ MAHAL (with V. M Bhatt and N. Ravikiran) (Waterlily Acoustics WLA-CS-46-CD)
- KULAJAN (with Toumani Diabete and other West Africian musicians) (Hannibal HNCD1444)
- AN EVENING OF ACOUSTIC MUSIC (Traditional and Modern) solo live recording
- BRER’ RABBIT (Rabbit Ears/BMG Kidz 74041-7200-2 out-of-print)
Michael has many other fine albums
- WILLOW (Windham Hill 1013)- (Out of Print)
- PICKIN' MY WAY / IN HOLLYWOOD / ALONE (MFSL 51787) - 2 CD reissue - The ALONE recording includes Hawaiian Slack Key (Opihi Moemoe)
Lonnie Johnson - Great blues guitarist who influenced Robert Johnson and many, many others. Especially his recordings 1925-1932.
- LONNIE JOHNSON - COMPLETE RECORDED WORKS 1925-1932 - VOL. 2 (1926-1927) (Document Records DOCD-5064) - especially the tracks To Do This, You Got to Know How, Back-Water Blues, and Fickle Mamma Blues.
- THE ORIGINAL GUITAR WIZARD [Box Set] (Proper Records) - especially the tracks To Do This, You Got to Know How, Back Water Blues, Playing With The Strings, and Stompin'Em Along Slow .
- THE ESSENTIAL LONNIE JOHNSON (Collectors Edition) - espeically the songs A Way Down the Alley Blues and Blues In G [this album may be hard to find].
- IRISH CLASSICAL GUITAR (Gael/Linn 109)
- SCOTTISH LUTE MUSIC (BIS 201)
Pat Metheny and Charlie Haden
- BEYOND THE MISSOURI SKY (Verve 314 537 130)
- TEQUILA (Verve 68653)
- ON THE ROAD TO NORTH MOUNTAIN (MBR-001)
- STREAMS IN THE DESERT
- CONTINUUM (coming soon)
Sam Hinton (1917-2009)
- FRANKIE GAVIN - JIGGIN' THE BLUES [IMPORT] - Rick appears with his frequent playing partner, fiddler Frankie Gavin, along with Jim Foley (Greentrax Recording LLC G2CD7011)
- THE UNWANTED - MUSIC FROM THE ATLANTIC FRINGE (Whirling Discs WHRL 013) - with Kathy Jordan and Seamus O'Dowd. Especially featuring song #12 An Phis Fliuch - a five part swift jig played in one of Rick's trademark styles, a Blues-influenced Irish style.
- SCUTTLEBUTT PLAYS THE INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC OF THE TALL SHIPS (Scuttlebutt 01) - Celtic ensemble with Rick Epping on harmonica.
- We are currently recording Rick Epping playing solo harmonica tracks and harmonica/concertina duets (with both instruments played at the same time).
To see Rick Epping play click here.
Deford Bailey (and other artists)
- HARP BLOWERS 1925-36 (Document 5164) - This CD has all 11 of his 1928 solo harmonica tracks. Austrian import.
- HARMONICA SHOWCASE (Matchbox MSE-218). These same 11 tracks are also on this recording. English import.
Phil, John and Pip Murphy
- THE TRIP TO CULLENSTOWN (Claddagh Records CC55CD) - Irish import
- NEW IRISH HARMONICA (Punch Music 002) - English import
- JIG JAZZ - English import
- WESTWINDS (Trax Label 091) - Scottish import
- THE ACT OF BEING FREE IN ONE ACT (THP 03) - solo harmonica CD of original songs, available from Turtle Hill Productions, PO Box 651, Monroe, CT 06468-0651 (203-459-9939)
- THOUGHT I HEARD IT BLOW (Upland 101) - with fiddler/banjo player Tom Sauber
- SOUTHERN OLD TIME HARMONICA (Mongrel Folk 8001)
Various Harmonica Artists:
- HARMONICA MASTERS (Yazoo 2019) - early blues and country
- OLD TIME HARMONICA CLASSICS (County 549) - early country
- DEVIL IN THE WOODPILE (Indigo Records 2032) - early blues
- HARMONICA BLUES (Yazoo 1053) - early blues
- THE GREAT HARP PLAYERS 1927-36 (Document 5100) - early blues and country. Austrian import
- A BAND IN A WAISTCOAT POCKET - THE STORY OF THE HARMONICA IN AUSTRALIA (Larrakkin Records 2 LRH 390- Australian Import) - Australian recordings from 1908-1936 especially the first 19 tracks by Pete and Paul Spouse.
The Hohner Harmonica newsletter EASY REEDING has current harmonica news and information, The subscription is free and current issues are available on the Hohner website. Write to Hohner at Hohner, Inc., P.O. Box 15035, Richmond, VA 23227-0435, or send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appalachian/Old Time Country, Cajun, Celtic, & other Related Influences on my Harmonica Playing
- Ray Alden's fantastic label with many live and field recordings of mainly older fiddlers, and more.
Digital Library of Appalachia
- Digital Library of Appalachia - Then go to "Browse by topic", then to "Music" or go HERE
Le Gran Mamou - Cajun Music Anthology - The Historic Victor - Bluebird Sessions - 1928-1941 Vol. 1 (Country Music Foundation CMF-013-D)
- Various Artists - Great early Cajun tracks including, Belle of Point Clair by the great Cajun harmonica player, Artelelus Mistric (one of his two recorded tracks).
Raise Your Window - Cajun Music Anthology - The Historic Victor - Bluebird Sessions - 1928-1941 Vol. 2 (Country Music Foundation CMF-017-D)
- Various Artists - Great early Cajun tracks from 1928-1941, including, You Belong to Me (Tu Ma Partient) by Cajun harmonica player Arteleus Mistric (one of his two recorded tracks).
- MAMMA, I'LL BE LONG GONE - THE COMPLETE RECORDINGS OF AMEDE ARDOIN 1929-2934": (Tompkins Square) - all 34 recordings from 1929, 1930, and 1934 of the greatest and most influential of the early Cajun accordionists. All feature Amede’s incredibaly soulful vocals and playing, and 22 of them are duets with the great Cajun fiddler Dennis McGee, and 12 are solo tracks by Amede. Two new tracks that were not issued on the two recordings below are Tout Que Rest C'est Mon Linge, and Sunset. (The Cajun accordion is the same tuning as the standard diatonic harmonica).
The following two recordings have 32 or the 34 tracks Amede recorded, with additional information in the liner notes.
- THE ROOTS OF ZYDECO - "I'M NEVER COMIN' BACK": (Arhoolie/Folk Lyric 7007) - has 26 tracks (of the 34 that he recorded).
- CAJUN DANCE PARY - FAIS DO-DO (Columbia/Legacy CK 46784) - Has great Cajun tracks from 1929-1934, including the 6 earliest tracks recorded in 1929 by Amede Ardoin, recorded as duets with fiddler Dennis McGee, that are not on the Arhoolie/Folk Lyric CD just above.
Amede was also the great Cajun accordionist player Marc Savoy’s main inspiration and influence.
- THE COMPLETE EARLY RECORDINGS 1929-1930 (Yazoo 2012) - great early Cajun recordings, many that hearken back to early Cajun music from the 1800s. Dennis was the fiddler on twenty of the Amede Ardion tracks played as pure duets (see the two records listed just above).
- BACK TO THE BASICS SAVOY STYLE(Savoy Music)- solo Cajun accordion
- BACK TO THE BASICS - VOLUME 2 - "ILL FAUT QUE CA VA"(Savoy Music)- solo Cajun accordion
- SAVOY FAMILY BAND - TURN LOOSE BUT DON'T LET GO (Arhoolie Records CD 525)
- TWO-STEP D'AMADE (Arhoolie 316)
- HOME MUSIC WITH SPIRITS (Arhoolie 389)
- LIVE AT THE DANCE (Arhoolie 418) 1994
- SAM'S BIG ROOSTER (Arhoolie 481)
I have been very inspired and influenced by this band which includes three great musicians: accordionist Marc Savoy (he builds them himself at the Savoy Music Center in Eunice, Louisiana) fiddler Michael Doucet (who also leads the great Cajun band, Beausoleil, who have many recordings on Arhoolie and other labels) and rhythm guitarist/vocalist/author/archivist Ann Savoy.There are many other albums featuring Marc Savoy's great accordion playing, and also many albums featuring Michael Doucet's great fiddle playing including with the Cajun band Beausoleil, on Arhoolie Records.
- CAJUN AND CREOLE MUSIC, VOL. 1: 1934-1937 (Rounder Select 1842) - Compilation album with four great tracks by Wayne Perry, and various artists recorded by Alan Lomax.
- AMERICAN FIDDLE TUNES (Rounder Records - 18964-1518-2) -Wayne has one song on this recording, a great version of Old Joe Clark.
I have been very influenced by the great Cajun fiddler Wayne Perry who recorded only five tracks in 1934, four of which are on this recording. This great recording also features great field recordings by other Cajun artists including the last two tracks featuring harmonica player Ernest LaFitte.
- OLD TIME FIDDLER OF CHICOUTIMI, QUEBEC (Voyager 322) - Louis's beautiful playing shows the link between French music, Celtic music, and Louisiana Cajun music. This late Quebec fiddler is one of my main inspirations for playing fiddle tunes on harmonica- for his other releases in Quebec see Thirty Below
- BANJER ON MY KNEE! - Traditional American Old-Time Tunes & Songs(Eagle's Whistle Music)
- DOWN THE ROAD I'LL GO - FRETLESS OLD-TIME MUSIC (Eagle's Whistle Music)
- WAITING FOR NANCY (Eagle's Whistle Music) - Mainly duets with guitarist/banjo player Bob Webb.
At least four more CDs by Curt are planned
Eck RobertsonThe late great and very influential Texas fiddler.
- OLD TIME TEXAS FIDDLER 1922-1929 (County Records CO-CD-5515) - Earliest recordings including the first country music 78s ever recorded in 1922 (especially hear his great version Sallie Gooden)
- FAMOUS COWBOY FIDDLER (County Records 202 - out of print) - 1953 record recorded by Mike Seger.
- JIGZUP (Iona Records - IRCD 039)
- SMITHERS (Big Dog Music BD0702) - Double CD of 59 original compositions played on fiddle as pure duets with Emilyn Stam on piano.
- O2 SOLO FIDDLE
- HYMNS AND HERS
- WHEN I GET MY NEW HOUSE DONE (Southern Folklife Collection - SFC CD-100)
- CADILLAC RAG (Small Dog A- Barkin’ SD-191CD) ten beautiful compositions by John for multi fiddles; also features guitarist Mark Howard.
- DOWN ON THE RIVER (Flying Fish - FF70514)
- ANNUAL WALTZ (MCA-5861)
- MARK TWANG (Flying Fish 70020) great solo album from 1976
- THE WALLS WE BOUNCE OFF OF (Small Dog A-Barkin’ SD- 394CD) great solo album from 1994
- VIDEO BANJOES, FIDDLES, AND RIVERBOATS JOHN HARTFORD AND THE GENERAL JACKSON - a great historical video on riverboats and the deep inspiration of the river on John’s music and life.
- VIDEO - LEARNING TO SMILE ALL OVER AGAIN solo live performance
John also has many other fine albums.
- THE LEGACY OF TOMMY JARRELL, VOL. 1: SAIL AWAY LADIES (County CD-2724)
Tommy also has many other fine albums.
Mountain Music of Kentucky
- (Smithsonian Folkways 40077 ) Especially the late Kentucky fiddler Marian Sumner’s version of “Lost Indian”
- CAPER DIEM (Gargoyle Records 70109) - No harmonica on this recording, but this is a great English Morris Dance band. Order from Lark In The Morning music catalog.
- BLOODY KNUCKLES (Skunkman Records BN4174) - Order from cdbaby.
- RICKER'S GHOST (Skunkman Records)
- THE IMPROBABILLIES (YODELAYHEECD024) - Great old time country band.
- SHAKEN BY A LOW SOUND (SIGNATURE SOUNDS SIG-2000)
- HOP HIGH (FOOTPRINT RECORDS FR-2004)
- ON THE ROAD TO NORTH MOUNTAIN (MBR- 001)
- Streams in the Desert
- Continuum (coming soon)
- Incredible acapella version of the song Llorando (crying) from her album, ALL MY LIFE (Baja Records). This version also appears on the soundtrack recording from the David Lynch film MULHOLLAND DRIVE (Milan Records 35971. This track is inspirational to me on all three instruments, and in every other way.
- MUSIC FOR 18 MUSICIANS (Nonesuch Records)
- OCTET / MUSIC FOR A LARGE ENSEMBLE (ECM 1-1129)
- DRUMMING / SIX PIANOS (Deutsche Grammophon 2740-106) - 2 CD set
- SEXTET / 6 MARIMBAS (Nonesuch 9-79138-1-F)
Soundtrack from the Snowman (CBS FM-39216 - out of print)
Children's story with orchestra music by Howard Blake. George interpreted three of the pieces from this soundtrack on his FOREST recording. (Video available on SONY; soundtrack CD available in Japan with music and narration and with the music alone)
- THE OUTER LIMITS - ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK, VOL. 1 (Crescendo GNPD-8032) - to order call 1-800-654-7029. Two more volumes are also tentatively planned.
Frank Zappa (1940-1993) This list here is mainly some of the instrumental music of Frank's. This great, late, 20th century American composer had many facets to him - for more information, go to www.zappa.com.
- HOT RATS (Rykodisk 10066) - includes Peaches En Regalia
- BURNT WEENY SANDWICH - (Rykodisk 10509) - includes Frank's solo piano composition, the piano introduction to "The Little House I Used To Live In"
- THE YELLOW SHARK - ENSEMBLE MODERN (Rykodisk 40560) - eighteen of Frank’s orchestral compositions performed live - the BEST performance and recording of Frank’s orchestra works
- ENSEMBLE MODERN PLAYS FRANK ZAPPA (RCA 82876-59842-2) - Greggery Peccary & other persuasions
- BOULEZ CONDUCTS ZAPPA: THE PERFECT STRANGER (Rykodisc 10542) - seven of Frank’s orchestral compositions
- LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. 1 (Rykodisc 10540)- more orchestral music
- LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA VOL. 2 (Rykodisc 10541) - more orchestral music
- ORCHESTRAL FAVORITES (Rykodisc 10529) - more orchestral music
- MAKE A JAZZ NOISE HERE (Rykodisc 10555/56) - live tracks from Frank’s final tour in 1988
- THE BEST BAND YOU NEVER HEARD (Rykodisk 10553/54) - more live tracks from Frank’s final tour in 1988
- FZ PLAYS FZ - A MEMORIAL TRIBUTE (UMRK 02) - (order from the Frank Zappa Website)
This list here is mainly instrumental music of Frank's. This great, late, 20th century American composer had many facets to him - for more information, go to www.zappa.com.
Randy also has many other fine albums and soundtracks.
Altramar Medieval Music Ensemble
- NOVA STELLA: A MEDIEVAL ITALIAN CHRISTMAS (Dorian Records DS-80142 ) - vocals and instrumentals. They also have six other fine CDs.
These are some of my favorite albums from the renaissance that happened between mid-1965 to early 1973:
- BLACK COFFEE (FN 25202 )
- WHITE CHOCOLATE
- RARE AND WELL DONE (Sony 062153) - double CD of new and historical tracks
- CHILD IS FATHER TO THE MAN - (Columbia 63987) - Their very first album, led and produced by Al Kooper. I basically learned how to arrange music from studying this album.
- REKOOPERATION (Musicmasters/BMG 65107)
- SOUL OF A MAN (Musicmasters/BMG Double CD 65113) great live album with songs from different eras of his career, including new versions of some songs from the first Blood, Sweat & Tears album (the tracks are under the name “Child is Father to the Man” on this album).
- YOU'VE MADE ME SO VERY HAPPY (Sony 32106) - Al Kooper did not play or sing on this record, but some of his arrangements where used.
- SUPER SESSION - (Sony CK 09701) reissue with bonus tracks of 1968 album with guitarists Michael Bloomfield and Steve Stills
LOVE (with Arthur Lee)
Also see the unofficial Love website
- FOREVER CHANGES LIVE - Arthur Lee's last album. (Electric Tradition/Rhino R2 76717) re-mastered version with bonus tracks classic 1967 album, produced by the Doors’ engineer, Bruce Botnick
- LOVE STORY - Documentary DVD
- SURREALISTIC PILLOW (RCA Victor)
- CROWN OF CREATION (RCA Victor)
H. P Lovecraft
- H.P. LOVECRAFT - their first album from 1967 - Great band from the late 1960s
The Young Rascals (with Felix Cavaliere on organ)
- COLLECTIONS (Warner Brothers #27618) - especially the song Mickey's Monkey/Love Lights
- THE YOUNG RASCALS (AKA THE RASCALS) (Warner Brothers #27617) - especially In the Midnight Hour
- VANILLA FUDGE (Atco #33224 ) - their classic first album
- THE MUSIC OF TURLOUGH O'CAROLAN (Fortuna 17005)
- O'CAROLAN'S DREAM (Fortuna 17061)
- FIONA (Celestial Harmonies 13065)
- SECRET ISLES (Fortuna 17029)
- Patrick also has many other fine albums.
- ICE FLOWERS MELTING (Fortuna FOR-003)
- WINDSHADOWS (Invincible 111)
- WINDSHADOWS, VOL. 2 (Invincible 079)
- TREASURES OF THE CELTIC HARP (Dargason Music 114)
- WILD IRIS (Invincible 123) - with flautist Steve Kujala
- WATER SPIRIT (Invincible 116)
- For more recordings by Kim, also see the Winter Season Recordings section below.
- She also has many other fine albums.
- COSMOPOLY (Sony Classical 89096)
- BOOK OF ROSES (Columbia 48601)
- BEHIND THE GARDENS...BEHIND THE WALL...UNDER THE TREE (CBS Masterworks 37793)
- DANCING WITH THE LION (Columbia 45154)
- CAVERNA MAGICA (CBS Masterworks 37827)
- DOWN TO THE MOON (CBS Masterworks 42255)
- WHITE WINDS (CBS Masterworks 39963)
Gu-Zheng (Chinese zither/ harp):
Wei-Shan Liu - Gu-zheng player. I will be co-producing new solo recordings with her.
- GREAT OCEAN order from www.guzheng.org
- MORNING BELL - order from www.guzheng.org
- THE MAGNIFICIENT BRONZE GORGE (China Record Co. Guangzhou) order from www.guzheng.org
- MASTERPIECES OF CHINESE SONGS OF THE 30'S (Solar Wind Records - SMCD - 1003) - Features Wei-Shan Liu with a Chinese instrumental ensemble
- MASTERPIECES OF CHINESE TRADITIONAL MUSIC (SMCD 1005)
Chen Lei-Shi (Louis Chen) - Gu-zheng player
- SPRING NIGHT ON A MOONLIGHT RIVER (Nonesuch Explorer Series 9559-72089-1- out of print)
- LOUIS CHEN PLAYS ZHENG SOLOS (Hugo Productions) - Out of Print
- SO SHIN (Toshiba EMI TOCZ-9276)
Erhu (Chinese two-stringed violin):
Hua Yan-jun (Ah Bing)
- COMMEMORATION OF THE RENOWNED FOLK MUSICIAN HUA YAN-JUN [AH BING] (ROI Productions Ltd RC-961002-2C). Currently out of print.
- COMMEMORATION OF THE RENOWNED FOLK MUSICIAN SUN WEN-MING (ROI Productions Ltd RC-001003-2C). Currently out of print.
- ERHU, THE ART OF ZHU CHANGYAO. (King Record Company KICC 5231 Japanese release) order from www.amazon.com, or from Far Side Music www.farsidemusic.com.
- ERHU PIECES OF LIU TIAN HUA BY GEORGE GAO (ROI Productions Ltd RA-001010C) - George plays the ten classic pieces by the revered and beloved composer Liu Tian Hua, order from www.amazon.com, or from Far Side Music www.farsidemusic.com.
Mongolian & Tuvan Music
Especially inspiring my harmonica playing (and also known as the Morin Huur, the Morin Khuur, the Morin Xuur, the Morin Khor and the Marinhur), the Mongolian deep sounding two-string bowed instrument that got its name from its horse-head shape, especially the playing of these three musicians:
- Qinggele, and Darima, on the recording MATOQUIN (Hugo Productions HRP 7195-2)
- Chi Bulico (Ci Bulag), on his recording MONGOLIAN MORIN KHUUR, on the World Music Library series on the Japanese King Label (KICC 5135).
- And the Tuvan ensemble Namgar - Hatar (Sketis Music XATAP SKMR 008) - Buryat vocalist Namgar Lkhasaranova leads the ensemble that takes her name, accompanied on traditional instruments from the Buryat and Mongolian tradition, played by a great ensemble of musicians from Russia and Mongolia. Thier second recording Nomad, is available from CD Baby - http://cdbaby.com/cd/namgar.
- Genghis Blues - DVD documenting the late blues musician Paul Pena's journey to Tuva, also featuring the great Tuvan singer Kongar-Ol Ondar. Soundtrack CD also available through Clarion Music.
Altramar Medieval Music Ensemble
- NOVA STELLA: A MEDIEVAL ITALIAN CHRISTMAS (Dorian Records DS-80142 ) - vocals and instrumentals. They also have six other fine CDs.
- A CAPPELA CAROLS: A COMPLETE COLLECTION OF THE ALFRED S. BURT CAROLS (Lindsborg Press L0112 CA)
- A CHRISTMAS PRESENT FROM THE CAROLING COMPANY (Variety Artist Group VAG4224) - 25 a cappella vocal arrangements of carols, including 8 Alfred Burt carols. www.alfredburtcarols.com
Joseph Byrd: A CHRISTMAS YET TO COME (Takoma 1046) - (out of print)
John Fahey: THE NEW POSSIBILITY (Takoma 7020)
Vince Guaraldi - A THE CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS (Fantasy 8431)
John McCutcheon - WINTER SOLSTICE (Rounder 192) - including the great song Christmas In The Trenches, a true story
GREGORIAN CHANTS FROM HUNGARY 1 - MEDIEVAL CHRISTMAS (Hungaroton - HCV-11477-2) - A wonderful variety of Gregorian Chants - sometimes with male voices, sometimes with feature female voices, sometimes both together, and sometimes answering each other. Also some of the chants have beautiful harmonies, and one has the male voices sometimes holding a soft drone note while the female voices sing the melody.
- CELTIC CHRISTMAS (Invincible 110)
- CELTIC CHRISTMAS 2 (Invincible 119)
- JOY, JOY, JOY (Invincible 122)
John Roth - DECEMBER DREAMS (Rosewood Music C-1005)
Jose Feliciano - FELIZ NAVIDAD - guitar, instrumental and vocals - reissue of 1970 album with three bonus tracks
Various Artists/Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar
Marci Wolf - Tanglewood Forest
Ling-Wen Tsai - Deep and wonderful visual and performance artist, and beyond. Her work has been very inspirational and essential in many ways for my growth on all three instruments that I play, as well as personally.
Costanza Knight - Beautiful watercolor art and more from an artist who has inspired and influenced me for decades.
Margaret Ezekiel - Painter the beauty and soul of Hawaii and beyond.